Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Vegan MOFO - Day 7 - Piot's Cheezy Potatoes

Day seven and I'm wishing my friends and family had low fat favorites. It just is not the American way. My Biggest Loser challenge is very challenging with recipes like this one.

This recipe is busted out regularly during our combined family get togethers. My friend Piot sent me her recipe for Cheezy Potatoes. Her daughter Rachel loves these and requested them for her birthday dinner last weekend. This is a very quick and easy dish to put together. It packs a very high-cal punch, so proceed with caution. Whenever these are busted out, there are never many leftovers.

The original version includes lots and lots of dairy and butter. The butter is replaced by Earth balance, the cheddar is replaced with Daiya cheddar style, and the dairy based cream of mushroom soup is replaced with this vegan recipe.


Piot's Cheezy Potatoes

1 pound frozen hash browns, partially thawed
1 1/2 cups cream of mushroom soup
4 tablespoons Earth Balance, melted
1/2 onion, chopped
4 oz. shredded vegan cheddar (I highly recommend using Daiya for the right texture)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Plain potato chips to crumble on top

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in small saucepan. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except for potato chips. Pour mixture into oiled 8 x 8 pan. Crumble potato chips over the top. Bake for 35 minutes.* Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

****Version Dos****

My friend at work is very allergic to onions. But I didn't want her to miss out on potato goodness. I decided to modify the cheezy taters so she could enjoy them. As a bonus I think this version is just as good or better!

1 pound frozen hash browns (preferably O'brien style, chunks rather than shreds)
1 1/4 cup Tofutti Sour Cream
1/4 cup strong vegetable broth
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 oz vegan cheddar (again I recommend Daiya)
4 tablespoons Earth Balance, melted
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste.
Plain potoato chips to crumble on top.

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in small saucepan. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients well except for potato chips. Pour mixture into oiled 8 x 8 pan. Crumble potato chips over the top. Bake for 35 minutes.* Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

* cooking time will vary slightly depending on how frozen the potatoes are. Begin the professional that I am, I use the finger test to see if it's done. You can also use a thermometer inserted into the middle most portion of the taters. They should be at about 150.

**As another side note, this recipe doubles nicely. Just use a 9 x 13 pan and up the baking time 5-10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. oh hell yes! i will be making this soon! ...as soon as the daiya stops being sold out at my local store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Anything with potato in it happily shows up on my plate (happily for me that is, I don't know if the potatoes would be quite so happy about it :P)

    ReplyDelete