Sunday, September 28, 2014

2014 Vegan Mofo - Day 28 - Costco Vegan Pierogi and Pear Sauce

As time has been tight as of late, my eating habits have been iffy at best. I was cruising through Costco to get some Dave's Killer Bread and Pellegrino Water. There was one of those vendor road shows where they pass out samples. Well it was my lucky day! They were sampling 4 different kind of Pierogi - 2 vegan!!! I decided to buy a giant bag of the potato and onion variety. Some people I know eat them with apple sauce. I did a little play on that idea (and a much easier one). A couple of weeks ago my Chow Locally Box had Bartlett pears in it. They were not yet ripe, so I had to wait before I could eat and use them.

I took 3 small very ripe bartlett pears, peeled and roughly chopped them (about 1 1/2 cups before pureeing). Tossed those in the bullet container with about 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom and pureed it all in my Magic Bullet until is was the consistency of apple sauce. NOTE: If the pears are not soft, you may have to add a little water.

The pierogi were really good! I was surprised. I'm glad I bought the giant bag. There were plenty of onions in them and the dough was yummy. I sautéed the pierogi in a healthy amount of olive oil until they were gorgeously browned. Dip and love! The sauce will keep in the fridge for a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment