Friday, September 12, 2014

2014 Vegan MOFO - Day 12 - Salsa Fresca

Dang! I still haven't gotten to the giant pattypans yet! Oh well. Sometimes raw food classes move you in a different direction. I can't blame the raw food class really. I just veered my own way. There were some beautiful chives in last week's box that were going to go bad if I didn't act. So in a Superwoman style saving mode, I rescued those green, lush beauties. Oh and I am using this salsa as part of my final project for my raw food class!

The Chow Locally featured ingredient for this recipe is:


Garlic or Onion Chives from Taylor Herb Garden - Chives can be used in so many different ways fro dips to salads, to cooked meals. Store in the crisper with a damp towel.


Salsa Fresca

Makes Approximately 2 1/2 cups 

3 cups fresh tomatoes (I recommend heirlooms), roughly chopped
1 fresh medium hot Hatch green chile or medium green chile*
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of one lime
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup garlic or onion chives, very thinly sliced

Place tomatoes, chiles, garlic, lime juice, sea salt and black pepper in blender. Pulse until peppers are minced. Make sure not to puree! When you are using those precious heirlooms you want some of that beautiful tomato texture and flavor. Pour mixture into a medium non-reactve bowl. Stir in chives. Refrigerate for at least two hours to let flavors meld. Overnight is even better.

* If you prefer hot salsa, substitute hot chiles or jalapeƱos

OK so salsa is the ketchup of the southwest. Enjoy this on EVERYTHING! If you are raw, this one is for you! Freshness and flavor abound!

No comments:

Post a Comment