Sunday, August 31, 2014

Raw Seaweed Salad

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years back. I am one of the lucky ones who has a mild case . One of my health goals is to support my thyroid and maybe even get off the medication that will surely kill my thyroid completely one day. Sea vegetables provide a great source of iodine which is one of those fabulous thyroid supporting nutrients. I keep looking for yummy ways to incorporate sea vegetables into my meals and this one is going to stay in the rotation.

I am taking a raw food class. Our weekly assignment is to try a raw recipe we have never prepared before. We were super busy working in the garden the other day. It was super hot. I wanted something cool, quick, raw and nutrient packed. So I decided to do my homework and make a dish that would fill the bill all in one shot.

This salad is quick to make. It is raw, full off veggies and anti-oxidants. The lemon makes the flavor nice and bright. The sesame seeds give a nice crunch. You can find Arame at Asian markets, Whole Food and online. Vitacost carries a non-GMO arame. This is where I usually get mine.


Raw Seaweed Salad

Makes 2 servings

1 cup arame
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic minced
1 tablespoon nama shoyu (raw soy sauce) if you are not raw, you could substitute soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon filtered water
1 teaspoon non-pasturized red miso
1/2 tablespoon cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
1/2 large red bell pepper, diced small
2 Tablespoons raw sesame seeds

Soak the arame in a mixing bowl with enough filtered water to cover for 5-10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain.

In a small bowl, whisk together ginger garlic, nama shoyu, lemon juice, water, red miso and olive oil until smooth.

In mixing bowl with arame, toss the dressing, carrots and red bell pepper until evenly combined. If serving immediately, stir in sesame seeds and serve. The salad can be chilled for up to two days in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, stir in sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment