Tuesday, February 11, 2014

New Paths - New Beginnings - New Friends

Tonight I finished my very first of what I am sure will be many classes at the Southwest Institute of Healing Arts (SWIHA). You know when you have one of those "Ah-ha" moments? That's what I have been having for the last 4 weeks. It's hard to say what is most inspiring: exciting ideas, new friends, the hope of a healthier future for everyone, spiritual awakenings. All of these ideas are going through my mind and spirit.

Sometimes we just need a reminder of what has been inside of us all along. For me it is the desire to make deeper connections with people, nature, community, mind, body, spirit and of course FOOD!

One of the concepts that I loved in this class was "SOUL" food: Seasonal, Organic, Unprocessed and Local. This is my preferred method of eating and cooking honestly. Not that I don't occasionally love me some Vegannaise, Soy Curls, Daiya or Tofurkey, because you know I do! But like all processed foods, they really should be used minimally. So that, my dear readers, is one of the things I am going to try to improve upon for future cooking adventures. I look forward to sharing some SOUL food recipes and ideas with you as I venture down yet another path in this ever-changing life we live.

Tonight we had the amazing opportunity to share our nutritional models (basically our philosophy about holistic heath and nutrition) and a SOUL food potluck. I was psyched about the fact that everything at the potluck was pretty darn healthy. I ate a lot and still felt energized and not bogged down.

I didn't get a picture of my dish for the potluck. But I want to share the recipe. It is full of healthy, high fiber, nutrient dense goodness. It is stick to your ribs hearty and satisfying. For those of you in the cold weather, this is a perfect dish for those cold nights. For you busy folks, this one is a snap to toss in the crock pot and have it ready when you get home for dinner.


South of the Border Lentil, Barley and Sweet Potato Stew

Slow Cooker/One Dish
Gluten Free/Soy Free**/Corn Free/Vegan

Serves 8

1 large yellow onion, medium dice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1-teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (leaf)
¾ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
2 large garnet yams, peeled and diced to ½ inch (approx 4 cups)
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
1-28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes with juices
4 ½ cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2/3 cup pearled barley
1 cup lentils (brown or green)
¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
Juice from ½ fresh lemon (approx 1 tablespoon)

In medium sauté pan or non-stick iron skillet over medium high heat, heat oil and add diced onion. Sauté until onions soften and become slightly translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add chipotle powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Sauté until spices become fragrant, about one minute.

Place onion mixture, yams, carrots, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, barley and split peas in crock pot/slow cooker. Turn to low setting and cook for 8 hours until barley, split peas and vegetables are tender. The stew is meant to be a little soupy. If it is very thick, add a bit more broth.

Stir in cilantro and lemon juice just before serving.

**Can be soy free if soy free broth/broth powder is used.

Here some really local food right from our back yard. Sleep well!


1 comment:

  1. you're back! i kept checking but... just teasin

    veggies from your yard look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete